What Why Where How
RMM header

Steele County

The Steele County website lists specific guidelines as to what materials are or are not recyclable in your area; please consult this list (as well as any materials you may have received from your county or recycling servicer) as you collect your recyclables. But remember, you can always recycle MORE than just what's collected! Reusable goods can be given to thrift stores or churches, food waste can be composted, some materials can be sent directly to remanufacturers... For tips on recycling MORE than what's normally collected, check out our mega list of what can be recycled and how.


Recycling Guidelines

Steele County Environmental Services manages the residential curbside and drop-off recycling programs of Steele County. Curbside collection is available in Owatonna, Blooming Prairie, Ellendale and Medford. Steele County offers seven permanent recycling drop-off sites across the county. Locations are listed on the county website.

When is your curbside recycling day? If you have not received your recycling brochure, call the Steele County Recycling Hotline at 507-451-5443 for the specific day, or check the curbside recycling calendar and map available on the county website.

The following materials are accepted, separated into two categories:

Remove all caps/lids and rinse. Place all containers mixed together in bottom of recycling bin.
-- Tin/steel food & beverage containers
-- Metal caps or lids
-- Empty metal paint cans & aerosol cans
-- Glass bottles & jars (clear, blue, brown & green)
-- Aluminum cans, foil & dinner trays
-- Plastic bottles (narrow neck only; no plastic caps)

Place all papers in paper (not plastic) bags and put on top of recycling bin.
-- Paper boxes (e.g. shoe, cereal, cake boxes; remove liners)
-- Junk mail, envelopes and greeting cards
-- Glossy magazines and catalogs
-- Newspapers and inserts
-- Phone books, hard & soft cover books
-- File folders, notebook papers, shredded paper
-- Pop & beer cartons
-- Construction paper, coloring books

Corrugated cardboard is accepted. Small pieces may be placed in a paper bag; large pieces must be cut in 3 ft. squares or smaller, and tied together in bundles no larger than 1 ft. high. Include packing paper with paper recycling. Do not include styrofoam. If you prefer to save the effort of tying bundles, you may drop off cardboard at the county recycling center in Owatonna.

-- Waxed paper or anything waxed (i.e. milk cartons, drink boxes, frozen food boxes)
-- Plastic bags or plastic wrap
-- Styrofoam packaging or foam cups
-- Plastic tubs (i.e. yogurt, cottage cheese, margarine, ice cream containers)
-- Plastic bakery or deli containers
-- Pizza boxes
-- Motor oil or gasoline containers
-- Light bulbs, mirrors, window glass or drinking glasses
-- Pottery, ceramics, flower pots or garden pots
-- Napkins, paper towels or tissues


(Last updated June 13, 2010)

Want to select another county?


About UsContactFacebookTwitter