What Why Where How
RMM header

Big Stone County

The Big Stone County website lists specific guidelines as to what materials are or are not recyclable in your area; please consult this list (as well as any materials you may have received from your county or recycling servicer) as you collect your recyclables. But remember, you can always recycle MORE than just what's collected! Reusable goods can be given to thrift stores or churches, food waste can be composted, some materials can be sent directly to remanufacturers... For tips on recycling MORE than what's normally collected, check out our mega list of what can be recycled and how.


Recycling Guidelines

Recyclables should be rinsed clean with all covers/caps removed. Materials should be separated into Co-mingled Paper and Co-mingled Other. Co-mingled paper includes basically all paper products including boxboard from food packaging. Co-mingled paper should be put in a paper bag separate from the rest of your recycling. Everything else is considered Co-mingled Other and should be put out in the blue bins or put in the appropriate drop-site bins. The following materials are accepted:

Only plastic containers with a neck, and marked with the recycling symbol #1 or #2, are accepted. Containers such as yogurt, butter or cottage cheese tubs are not accepted.

Clear, brown and green glass are accepted. Generally, recyclable glass items are containers from food or beverages. Shattered glass, light bulbs and window glass are not acceptable.

Primarily used for beverage containers such as beer and pop. Aluminum can be included with recycling or be sold for fair market price at Strege's Recycling Center in Ortonville. Another option is the "Cans for Kids" trailer (in front of the Recycling Center), where you can donate your cans to be used for Kiwanis projects.

Tin cans should be rinsed clean with or without labels removed.

Newspaper, white paper, colored paper, magazines, junk mail, catalogs, telephone directories and boxboard (i.e. food packaging) accepted. Co-mingled paper should be separated into a bag and placed in or beside your blue bin.

Corrugated cardboard is accepted at the curb or the municipal recycling dropsites. All cardboard should be flattened and folded or cut into pieces no larger than 3'x3'.


(Last updated May 13, 2011)

Want to select another county?


About UsContactFacebookTwitter